So, you have already added some users to the system and have some Projects and work items inside. Now it is time to decide if you need to use Teams or not. Here are the main benefits brought with Teams:
- More granular permissions in a Project: Team members can only access the part of a Project which is assigned to the Team (if they are not assigned to the Project directly);
- Team Iterations and related reports to track entire Team progress;
- Ability to assign many people to a Project with a single click.
Let's check the most popular cases:
- A large product with many people working on it. Such products consist of different modules/parts like Backend/Frontend, Authentication, Datastore, etc… and different Teams are working on them. If that is your case then most probably you will need Teams.
- A small product with a group of people working on it. Most probably you won't need Teams as they will just introduce unnecessary complexity.
- A single team working on different products. It is a good idea to create a Project for each Product and a single Team. With Team you will be able to use Team Iterations and easily assign new Projects to the Team.
Use cases can give you some additional insight about possible scenarios of Team usage.
Now let's start Adding Teams.
The easiest way to add a Team is to press a 'Create Team' button in a Team/Project context selector.
Right in the 'Create team' popup you can go further and assign this Team to Projects, as well as add existing or new users to the Team.
Note: selecting user names from the dropdown list will assign existing Targetprocess users, while typing completely new e-mail addresses will create a new user in Targetprocess and assign him/her to the Team.
Another possible way to add a Team is to create a new blank View with Teams selected as cards and use context quick add. With Projects selected as lanes you can assign Teams using drag-n-drop.
More details on adding users to Teams can be found in the corresponding article.
Assign Work to Teams
Now, after adding users to Teams and assigning Teams to Projects you can start assigning some work to your Teams. You can do it either:
- Directly through the detailed view of a work item. Just select an appropriate Team from the dropdown.
- Using drag-n-drop on any Board with Teams set as axis, e.g. 'Work by Teams' template.
Start Using Team Iterations
There is no one-size-fits-all scenario to start using Team Iterations, so here are just some general recommendations:
- First of all, you need to create Team Iterations via Global Quick addor a board with Team Iterations selected as axis/card:
- Then you can start assigning work items to Team Iteration board with Team Iterations set as axis. With the batch drag-n-drop you will be able to assign multiple items.
Still have a question?
We're here to help! Just contact our friendly support team
Get started for free
Manage complex work, projects and products with Targetprocess
We’ve sent you a confirmation e-mail — please, go check it.
With our product specialist Ksenia