When you plan your backlog and define planned dates for the future work you may be interested in building a timeline-based report for your backlog. Timeline calculation feature makes such reporting possible. It is possible to build a report showing totals based on numeric custom field values, distributed on a timeline with daily, weekly, monthly or less precise resolution according to the planned dates of the entities.
We'll now create a Visual Report for the future time period that will display monthly totals of two custom field values for Epics.
Creation of the dataset
- Setup two numeric custom fields for Epics. Let them have names "Dev Resources" and "QA Resources".
- Create two epics, E1 and E2. Fill in planned start dates, planned end dates, and values of the two custom fields in each epic.
- [Optional] Set up list view or roadmap view for Epics. Customize cards so that the values of the custom fields can be observed.
Configuration of the Report
Click +Create > Report to start building new Visual report.
- Create report from Blank template.
- We recommend to use the following Sources settings as initial ones:
- Source type: Entity Reports
- Projects and teams: the ones you're interested in
- Entities: Epics
- Click on Horizontal axis in order to add Calculation for it. Use the following formula:
TIMELINE([Planned Start Date],[Planned End Date])
- Set up proper grouping for resolution of dates. Say in this use case we'll report totals monthly:
- In the vertical axis, define fields across which totals should be calculated. The following options are supported:
- Count of entities
- SUM(Numeric Custom Field Name)
In our use case we'll use the following two calculations:
SUM(Dev Resources) SUM(QA Resources)
We display values for two different custom fields in the same chart. In order to split areas we switch chart type to Stacked Bar chart.
- Almost done! Give unique name to your report and press Finish setup button.
Here is how the created chart looks like:
Using ID or Name field as the Color option we can show each work item in the same stacked bar chart:
In order to ensure that a report displays all your data properly please learn more about our recommendations, best usage practices and known issues related to reports of this kind. More information: Visual Reports with Timeline data aggregation