Requires the following solutions:
- User Demand and Allocation (e683fdf5-c716-43fa-8d42-05ce4415b889) – if you use User Allocations
- Team Demand and Allocation (868e93a9-2211-4b45-b207-4399b3e9d9ce) – if you use Team Allocations
- Person (User) Rate (f09ee69d-78a8-4ad0-a495-b5e01c18b418) – if you want to calculate Costs
- User Involvement in a Team (Assign User approach) (3e2198a4-3998-432d-b3c4-212e3a6f1078) – if you want to consider User Involvements in Teams in calculations
- User Involvement in a Team (Create Involvement approach) (47c3ab73-4ff8-4acf-a066-43649df5b9af) – if you want to consider User Involvements in Teams in calculations
The solution extends User/Team Demand and Allocation solutions. It allows calculating Total and Remaining Allocated Hours and Costs for Work Allocations. It's needed when you want to see how many Hours a Work Allocation includes based on its Planned Dates, Percentage, Connected User or Team (users in a team) Weekly Hours, and calculate how much it will cost considering User Rates.
After the solution installation, you will see new fields on the Work Allocation tab of a Portfolio Epic (or other entity which you use Work Allocations for):
- Total Allocated Hours
- Remaining Allocated Hours
- Total Allocated Cost
- Remaining Allocated Cost
Hours will be calculated based on:
- Planned Start and Planned End dates of Work Allocation
- User Weekly Hours
- Percentage of User Involvement to a Team (optional)
Costs will be calculated based on:
- For Work Allocation with a Connected User – based on a Connected User Rate, considering Rate Planned Start and End Dates
- For Work Allocation with a Connected Team – based on the sum of Rates of all the Users in a Team
Total Allocated Hours and Total Allocated Costs are calculated based on Work Allocation Planned Start and End Dates. Remaining Allocated Hours and Remaining Allocated Costs consider the Current Date and Planned End Date of a Work Allocation.
Note: Remaining Allocated Hours and Remaining Allocated Costs will be recalculated automatically daily.
Define Solution Configuration
Depending on your needs, the solution can be configured in various ways:
- use Connected User or/and Connected Team
- calculate Allocated Hours and Allocated Cost or only Allocated Hours
- consider User Involvements % into Teams or not
There are 12 automation rules in the solution with the following parameters, which define the solution's configuration.
- useRates – set it to true if you want to calculate both Hours and Costs; set it to false if you're going to calculate only Hours and don't need to calculate Costs
- useTeams – set it to false if you only use Connected User; set it to true if you use both – Connected User and Connected Team for Work Allocations
- useUsers – set it to false if you only use Connected Team; set it to true if you use both – Connected User and Connected Team for Work Allocations
- useInvolvements – set it to false if you don't use Involvements solution; set it to true if you want to consider Involvements in the calculations
- usePast – set it to true if you want to calculate Hours and Costs for finished Work Allocations (with PlannedEndDate>=DateTime.Today); set it to false if you don't want to do this calculation.
By default, the solution is configured to work with Connected Users only and calculate both – Hours and Costs – without considering User Involvement in a Team.
- useRates: true
- useTeams: false
- useUsers: true
- useInvolvements: false
To update the rules:
- Go to Settings -> Automation Rules
- Open the following rules one by one:
- WA_UR_1_of_12_Update Hours and Costs when Involvement is added for Connected Team
- WA_UR_2_of_12_Update Hours and Costs when Involvement is modified for Connected Team
- WA_UR_3_of_12_Update Hours and Costs when Work Allocation is modified
- WA_UR_4_of_12_Update Hours and Costs when "Weekly Hours" is modified for User
- WA_UR_5_of_12_Update Hours and Costs when Rate is modified for User
- WA_UR_6_of_12_Update Remaining Hours and Costs for Work Allocation daily
- WA_UR_7_of_12_Update Remaining Hours and Costs - daily trigger
- WA_UR_8_of_12_Update Hours and Costs when Team is updated with Users
- WA_UR_9_of_12_Update Remaining Hours and Costs for Demand daily
- WA_UR_10_of_12_Calculate Hours for Demands
- WA_UR_11_of_12_Update Hours and Costs for new/updated Demand
- WA_UR_12_of_12 Update Total and Remaining Hours and Costs - manual trigger
- Update the mentioned above parameters
- Save the rules
Calculate Hours and Costs for existing Work Allocations
When the parameters are updated in all the automation rules, you need to trigger the calculation of Hours and Costs for existing in the system Work Allocations.
You can calculate it for all the Work Allocations in the system or skip the finished Work Allocations (the Planned End Date is in the past).
- set usePast parameter in the WA_UR_12_of_12 Update Total and Remaining Hours and Costs - manual trigger rule to true if you want to process all the Work Allocations in the system and to false if you only want to perform the calculation for current and future Work Allocations
- Click Save and Trigger button
Note: if there are more than 1000 Work Allocations in the system, you'll need to trigger this rule several times until all the Work Allocations are processed. Check Rule Runs logs to see if all the Work Allocations are processed. There should be no more matches meaning all the Work Allocations have been processed.
Still have a question?
We're here to help! Just contact our friendly support team