Requires the following solution to be installed:
- Custom Period Enablement (73f495ed-64e6-43dd-8958-dc43f7afb6b7)
- Agile Release Trains (ARTs) (edcffe31-75d3-40b8-9b16-6fbfa380466e) - if you need to generate Planning Intervals (PIs)
It can't be used with the following solutions:
- Generate Planning Intervals automatically for all ARTs (4602403e-c4d0-42fb-a895-6e0d4e0419ff)
- Generate Team Iterations automatically for all Teams (d5dee069-ce11-4af2-af40-3c4aa2c50cc6)
- Iteration Generation for Team (58884b19-17e0-4d07-bf99-6cd0874d0056)
- Iteration Generation for Agile Release Train (ART) (5170cf26-77e6-4d16-96f3-c11a5b86f876)
The solution enables you to create synchronized Releases (Planning Intervals) for all ARTs or/and Team Iterations for all Teams in one click. It's handy when you have a lot of ARTs/Teams who have the same schedule of Planning Intervals or/and Team Iterations. Planning Intervals or/and Team Iterations will be generated based on Custom Periods you have in the system, i.e. they'll have the same Planned Start/End Dates.
The solution can be used to:
- Only generate Planning Intervals (PIs) for ARTs
- Only generate Team Iterations (TIs) for Teams
- Generate Planning Intervals (PIs) for ARTs and Team Iterations (TIs) for Teams
After generation you'll see a list of Planning Intervals on Agile Release Train (ART) view, Team Iterations on a Team view or both based on the configuration.
On a Period view, you'll see a list of related Planning Intervals or Team Iterations.
After solution installation Periods PIs/TIs folder will appear on the left menu with the following views:
- Periods PIs
- Periods TIs
On this views you can find the hierarchy Period -> Planning Intervals/Team Iterations
Before generating Releases (Planning Intervals) or/and Team Iterations, generate the Periods as they will be used as a base for PI/TI creation. By default the solution is set to generate both PIs and TIs, and it will link Periods to Planning Intervals.
The solution includes Automation Rules with parameters, which need to be configured before the first run:
- Period Type - a Period type (Period, MonthPeriod, QuarterPeriod or YearPeriod) for which you'll be generating PIs/TIs. The solution works for custom Period by default. If you need ot generate PIs/TIs based on MonthPeriod, QuarterPeriod, or YearPeriod instead, please contact us.
- Generate PIs – set it to true if Planning Intervals should be generated.
- Generate TIs – set it to true if Team Iterations should be generated.
- Excluded ARTs – define the ARTs that should be excluded from Planning Intervals auto-generation. Use ART IDs in the values array.
- Excluded Teams – define the Teams that should be excluded from Team Iterations auto-generation. Use Team IDs in the values array.
- Is Active Filter – set it to true if you want to exclude inactive Teams from TI generation. It's actual only for Team Iteration generation for Teams.
- Past Generation – set it to true if you need Planning Intervals/Team Iterations be generated for the past Periods.
- Past Periods Amount – if the Past Generation parameter is set to true, here you can define the quantity of past Periods to generate PIs/TIs for.
- Iteration Length – define the number of calendar days to be in a Team Iteration
To update them, please do the following:
- Go to Settings -> Automation Rules
- Open the following rules one by one:
- Create PIs/TIs in Periods - initial trigger
- Create PIs/TIs when a new Period is created
- Create PIs/TIs for a new Team or ART
- Move TIs between PIs according to Team ART
- Create TIs for a new PI
- Click JSON tab
- Update the parameters
- Save the rule
To start generation:
- Enable and open the following rule:
- Create PIs/TIs in Periods - initial trigger
- Click Save and trigger now button.
As a result, Planning Intervals will be generated for ARTs and Team Iterations will be generated for Teams respectively.
- When you generate PIs and TIs, it'll set the dates of PI the same as the respective Period Planned Dates, and it's generate the amount of TIs which fit the Period. For example, you've created PI for Period of 3 months duration and Team Iteration duration is 14 days, then the solution will create PI of 3 months duration and 6 Team Iterations, which the Finish dates of the PI and the last Team Iteration may not match.
- When you generate only Team Iterations, then Team Iterations will have the the dates matching Period dates.
Further solution usage
After the initial generation disable the following rule:
- Create PIs/TIs in Periods - initial trigger rule
Future PIs/TIs will be created automatically when one of the following events happen:
- a new Period is created;
- a new ART or Team is created (past PIs/TIs won't be generated for them at this case).