- Reports based on Time spent
- Time Tracking
- Detailed Time Reports for Hierarchical Entities
- Tabular Report with Detailed Time List: add Custom Columns based on Metrics
- Data Fields in Detailed Time Reports
- Detailed Time Spent reports by User Story with Tasks and Bugs
- Detailed Time Spent reports by Feature, by Epic, by Portfolio Epic
- Detailed Time Spent reports by Work Item with Relations
With Time Tracking practice enabled, Targetprocess users post actually spent time against various entities. Detailed time reports are used to build lists of submitted records, group them per work items, work scopes, users, roles, and date ranges, and calculate totals per each group. The reports can be exported for external audit and further processing by third-party software in the form of tabular and graphical files.
The reports are based on Times data source and operate with lists of time spent records.
Time entities have predefined and custom data fields. The fields are used for reporting, grouping, and filtering. More on the fields: Data Fields in Detailed Time Reports.
There are several kinds of Detailed Time Spent reports available.
Tabular Report by Time Spent
Custom Report by Time spent provides you with a detailed spreadsheet. It allows applying filters and calculating totals by User/ Role/ Assignable entity/ Project over a specified period of time. With Summary Columns you can get totals by Iteration, Team Iteration, Release and Team as well. This data can be viewed, copied to clipboard, printed or saved as a CSV file. CSV files can be imported into MS Excel for further processing.
It is possible to build Visual report showing summary of time spent. Visual reports can group and summarize time spent per work item (such as User Story, Task, Request), per person, per Role, per high-level scope of work (Feature, Epic, Sprint or Iteration, Release, Project), per date range (week, month, year). Visual reports show data in form of charts and can be exported to tabular CSV files.
To get started, create a new report.
Templates for Time Spent reports
The following predefined templates for Visual Reports by Time Spent are available:
- Time Spent by Person - How many hours spent by each person in the last month
- Time Spent by Person by Month - How many hours spent by each person for every month in the last year
- Time Spent by Person by Work Item - How many hours spent by each person for every month in the last year
- Time Spent by Iteration - The number of hours spent by each person for every Iteration in the last year
- Time Spent by Team Iteration - The number of hours spent by each person for every Team Iteration in the last year
- Time Spent by Project - The number of hours spent for every Project in the last year
- Effort vs Time Spent - Correlation between Time Spent on User Stories and estimated Effort
- Iteration Effort vs Time Spent - Shows correlation between total Effort in an Iteration and total Time Spent
- Team Iteration Effort vs Time Spent - Shows correlation between total Effort in an Team Iteration and total Time Spent
- Release Effort vs Time Spent - Shows correlation between total Effort in an Release and total Time Spent
Use one of the existing templates for this purpose or build a report from scratch.
If the report is based on assignable items (such as User Stories, Tasks, Bugs etc.) as Data Source, then use SUM(TimeSpent) aggregation for your summary reports. If the report is based on Times (detailed time records), use SUM(Spent) for aggregation.
If your assignable entities have custom fields of type Drop Down List representing some module or category, then it is possible to build time breakdown report per module or per category. However you cannot use Multiple Selection List custom fields or Tags for the same purpose.
Time Spent report for high-level scopes of work
Users submit Time records for User Stories, Tasks and Bugs, while project managers are interested in totals for high-level scopes of work: Features and Epics. In Visual Reports it is possible to build detailed time report with proper aggregation.
Custom Graphical reports
Available in versions v3.6.0 - v3.10.0 for Targetprocess accounts hosted in the cloud. Previously created reports are still supported, but it is not possible to create new reports with the old interface.
Available in versions v3.6.0+ and still supported for On-Premise accounts.
Various time reports to view effort and status can be built across projects and departments.
Time Spent by Person is one of the available reports.
It is possible to build a report that shows Estimated effort vs time spent per user.
Time List view
Time list view is recommended view to see your time records. On this view each time record is represented as a row.
You can create Board and List views that display Time as cards. You can group them by User, Spent Date or other fields, and you can filter or sort them as you like.
Also Time List allows you to build, copy and export into CSV file a detailed report by Time Spent records.
Export filtered view to CSV file
If you already have a view with filtered set of cards, you're welcome to export it to tabular CSV file. A file contains TimeSpent column filled in with number of total hours spent for each assignable entity (such as User Story, Task, Bug etc). You can open the file in data processing tool such as Excel or Google Spreadsheets and summarize time spent values in the column if needed.
REST API reports by Time Spent
REST API Reports are similar to Custom Reports. They allow you to extract data from the system in the XML or JSON format. Both formats are not very visual and readable for the human eye, but they can be used as valuable input for your custom integration scripts and standalone applications. Fortunately enough, MS Excel accepts XML files as a data source as well.
Want to know more about work with Time Reports? Dig into the detailed articles:
Other userful reports
- Estimation Accuracy Reports based on Effort vs Time Spent
- Views and reports for personal velocity, total effort and time spent per user
- Time and Effort Reports Solution
- Billable Hours and Budgets Tracking
- Daily Time Remain Trends report